Has your club edged its artificial pitch?
This is the ideal time to edge artificial pitches as the surrounding ground is soft.
- Required equipment, builders line 30M, two pegs to hold line, good quality spade with square head , edging tool to give a clean cut, large bucket or wheelbarrow and a brush.
- Pick a fine dry day to do the work, usually three people for two hours
- Set up line 15 mm into the mat from edge, cut straight edge carefully along line, run spade under growth into straight edge and lift away from mat.
- Brush loose clay away then walk the edge back down to the mat leaving a neat sloped edge between mat and surrounding ground or square so that a ball runs smoothly.
- The grass will have re-established long before the season commences.
- Other work like cleaning should be left closer to the start of cricket.
- No need to edge either end of mat.
- Both ends should be left undisturbed unless it is necessary to tighten/ stretch the mat
If you need more information or help, please contact either Cricket Leinster Grounds Committee chair, Collie Byrne (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cricket Leinster's Director of Cricket Ops, Simon Dyke (email@example.com)