Cricket has its roots very much in Fingal and records show that cricket of some kind has been played there since the early 1920's , The Hills CC were founded in 1969 and have grown from small beginnings to being able to field 4 adult men's and 2 women's sides as well as U 9, 11, 13, 15, & 17 for both boys and girls. We now have a second Ground " The MCG " and have won Two All Ireland Titles as well as many Leinster Trophies in recent years.
2019 is our Golden Jubilee Year and we will be hosting numerous fixtures and events to celebrate our history. The Hills CC has one of the most picturesque grounds in Ireland , famous for it's hospitality and of course it's signature dish of fresh cream scones, so if you've not yet visited please pop down and be sure of a warm Hills welcome at our splendid " Vineyard " ground.
The cricket club in the area was one of the founding clubs which played in the inaugural Fingal League in 1928, and they won it in 1936 and 1941. Games in the early decades were played on the lands of local farmers around the Blackhills, with in most cases, a different field being used each year. Wickets would have been crude tracks hastily prepared over the previous week nights, and this answers the question about low scores.
Stepping up from Fingal to Leinster Cricket
Some of the people, who had been playing cricket for Balrothery, discussed the forming of the Hills CC. In September 1969, the idea of playing at Milverton was mooted, and Joe Clinton and Gerry Byrne approached the Wentges family of Milverton Hall with a view to using the Vineyard as a possible location. Mrs Wentges readily gave permission for the Vineyard to be used, and a general meeting was held in the Holmpatrick Hotel, Skerries to discuss the making of an application to the Leinster Cricket Union.
The Hills CC was formed, with Gerry Byrne as its first Chairman, and one team was entered in the Leinster League in the 1970 season with Seamus Clinton as captain and has gone from strength to strength.